Monday, April 22, 2013
The remaining stub was 3/4 inch instead of the common 1/2 inch. I was able to buy a universal spout that would work with either. Well that almost worked. The instructions said at least 1/2 inch of threaded stub required. Well it was going to be close but I thought I would give it a try. Long story short it leaked and when I tried to tighten it the plastic adapter cracked. So much for that $25 fix. To add to my woes I bought satin nickel instead of chrome. So I bought a $10 replacement chrome spout with diverter, a 3/4 to 1/2 brass reducer and a 4 inch 1/2 inch stem.
I took a deep breath or two along with a few choice words and gave the reducer a few more good turns. At long last it all worked leak free and looked great to boot. Thanks to persistence, more hours than I care to admit and $55 later I had finally achieved success.
Oh and the plumber got the toilet leak fixed too.