When it rains it pours - and I mean literally. To make a long story short I came home on lunch the day before we closed to find the upstairs, downstairs and basement flooded in the house we live in. It was a huge mess. We sucked up what we could and brought in a professional Drying and Recovery Team to do the rest. More on that later, but lets just say the DIY project board just got a lot more crowded. Looks like I now have two houses to work on. I hate when that happens.
Day 1 Accomplishments and Observations Main Bedroom
- Removed all the old window hardware
- Removed all the old nails in the walls
- Removed all the baseboard trim
- Unmounted the baseboard heater
- Removed carpet, padding and tack strips
- Removed old peal and stick tile (Found Under the Carpet)
- Removed all the staples and and nails from floor from previous installs
- When removing old flooring I would suggest wearing gloves. I did not and suffered some minor injuries.
- We are going to have to replace the Baseboard Trim, I was hoping to be able to salvage it but that is not going to work out.
- The walls and ceiling were painted the same color, we decided to paint the ceiling eggshell white and the walls stone grey.
- There are some issues with the built-in closet that we have to resolve. Still ciphering on that one.
- The ceiling was not installed very well and sags in places. I want to tear it down and replace it with drywall but think that might have to wait for another day. It's not horrible so I guess we live with it for now.
- My son Tony stopped by after work and help with some of the demo. It was nice to have a helper and to work with my son.
- Lisa stopped by with supper - Good Food and a Good Excuses to take a much need break.
- I was hoping to be farther along in the process but removing the staples and nails from the floor took a lot longer and more out of me than I thought it would. The good news is that we found the sub-floor in pretty good shape.
- We are looking to take our time and try and have the house ready to move in April 1. If I didn't have a full time job I wouldn't hesitate to pull down the ceilings but this is going to have to be a weekend and after work project.
- 10 Hours Estimated work completed
Pictures to come soon.