Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Demo Demo Demo

Okay it didn't take long for me to figure out I couldn't DIY remodel and blog at the same time. So much for the Day by Day blow by blow post. So I am just going to start posting some of the highlights.

We had two demolition projects that turned out to be real nightmares. The first was the built in walk in closet that was made out of the small bedroom. It was built as a permanent install and was heavily re-enforced. My son Tony had quite the time ripping it out.

To add insult to injury we found that the back left corner sagged and when we ripped up the flooring, we found some water damage.  We ended up taking the corner wall down to the studs to see if there was a leak in the wall. The good news is that we found none. We think the problem maybe caused by a broken seal between the house and enclosed porch addition. We are going to have to wait for warmer weather to remove the vinyl siding to see if we can find the problem.

The other nightmare was the kitchen  cabinets just inside the porch door. At first I thought these cabinets had been added for extra storage as they do not match anything else in the kitchen. Come to find out they were the original cabinets and we soon found out why they were still there. They were built into the wall and there was just no easy way to take them down. 

My youngest son Tyler pictured here holding the bottom portion of the cabinet had some blood, sweat and tears on this project. We ended up having to saw and hack the cabinet to pieces to remove it. The end result was one ugly wall and a hole in the drop ceiling where they had tiled around it. You never know what you are going to find when you starting tearing into things. It's like peeling back layers and layers of previous DIY's.

No comments:

Post a Comment